Monday, February 26, 2024

Part 3: Personal Leadership Philosophy

 

MGMT 2026: Management and Leadership

Personal Learning Cloud / e-Portfolio

Part 3: Personal Leadership Philosophy

By: Charlie Alix

Table of contents

-Personal Leadership Philosophy

-People I admire.

-Visual representation my leadership philosophy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Personal Leadership Philosophy

The type of Leader I want and think I can be is someone who listens to there team. Someone who takes in input from there team and can use these inputs to make better decisions and to help reach our common goal. I like active involvement from my peers and would expect honest praise and criticism. I think the ideal leadership style for me is the Democratic leadership style. According to IVEY Academy, a democratic, facilitative, or participative leadership places a high value on the knowledge, skills, and diversity of their team. They develop confidence in their leadership by utilizing the collective wisdom their team has to offer, they are leader- breeders. This is my type of strategy as I feel I do work well with others and help others build confidence. Some characteristics of a democratic leadership style is inclusive, collaborative, and trust-building. All of these I think have been demonstrated at red river when working and completing group assignments.

 

The behaviors I want to set forth  as a leader are confidence or self- confidence, to lead by example and to lead with honesty. Being confident in yourself and confident in the decisions you are making is a vital part of being a leader I feel. Leading by example and holding yourself to the same standards as your peers is also a great motivator. Finally, being honest and truthful with my team. These are all great behaviors of a leader I have but are also great ways to build trust with your team. Which brings us to the next topic beliefs.

Some of the beliefs I think are important to being a leader is trust and sense of vision. Trust is particularly important to me. Trust that the things will get done. Trust in collaboration and teamwork. Trust in your team. To me a successful team cannot function unless they trust in each other. Having a vision is critical in being a leader as well. Always being forward looking and having a clear focus on what needs to get done. Having a vision that you employees can see helps maintain a purpose in their work. These are important traits to me, and I bring these types of traits to the workplace.

 

The values I will use to direct me are empowerment, empathy, and resilience. I want myself and my team to be able to face adversity and be able to recover from setbacks. This can go back to the behaviors and leading by example. Addressing problems as soon as the occur and minimize impacts. This is being resilient, and I feel is necessary in being a leader but also in the workforce and in life. This can lead to a behavior we had talked about in confidence, but it could also empower somebody. Having your colleagues trusted, capable, being able to produce solutions and to get better at there jobs is the leader I strive to be. Finally, empathy. Empathy has always been important to me. Being able to build genuine connections with your team creates a stronger team- bond, which I believe results in improved efficiency, productivity, and overall happiness. All important in being an effective leader and traits I feel I have demonstrated one way or another.

 

 

Behaviors

Beliefs

Values

Confidence

Equality

Empowerment

Lead by example

Vision

Empathy

Honest

 

Resilience

 

 

People I Admire

Sidney Crosby-  Sidney Crosby is a Canadian Ice hockey player from Nova scotia. He has won at every level of hockey you can play from juniors to a Stanley cup, to an Olympic gold medal. Crosby has never had a scandal that could tarnish his reputation but has just played hockey and led his teams to championships repeatedly. Some characteristics of Crosby is, he is a collaborator and makes everyone around him better. He empowers people. He is always a pass first guy and does not look for the limelight. He always has the mindset of continuous improvement. Whether its on the ice or off the ice he is proactively trying to better himself.

 

Joe Sakic- Joe Sakic was my childhood hockey hero, that I looked up to as long as I can remember. He has been retired from the NHL for quite some time now, but his leadership will always be respected in the hockey world. Joe set examples of continuous hard work right from junior years. He was soft spoken. A lot of times he would not have to say a word but more lead by example. He was also very unselfish and empathetic. To me this was Sakic’s best quality. He really emphasized this when they had one there second Stanley cup. Instead of raising the cup over his head, he had passed it to a man that had been in the league for 22 years and had never won in. Excellent show of sportsmanship and unselfishness.

 

Elon Musk-  Now this one might be controversial, but I do feel Elon is a pioneer in today’s world and leading by example. From developing PayPal in the 90’s, Tesla (electric Cars) or Star link. All these things are beneficial and useful in today’s world. PayPal (or Online Money transfers) is used more than ever, electric cars are now the future and Star link has been beneficial to people all over the world and say in northern communities, especially in Canada. Some characteristics Elon has that I have notice is imagination. He had to be imaginative to be able to produce these ideas. Resilient or Self- Confident is another characteristic. He once had his own heroes (Neil Armstrong) express doubts on the projects he was doing. He continued even though these comments really hurt him. Having a clear strategic vision, Elon has demonstrated over and over that he has a vision and how he wants to get things done.

 

Visual representation my leadership philosophy



 

 

 

 

 

 

References

https://www.ivey.uwo.ca/academy/insights/2020/01/13-common-leadership-styles/

https://www.villanovau.com/articles/leadership/democratic-leadership-style/

https://ca.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/leader-values

https://www.shutterstock.com/g/Ilyafs  ( Picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Part 7: Control System Design

  MGMT 2026: Management and Leadership Part 7: Control System Design Charlie Alix     The team I decided to report on is my recrea...