Wednesday, October 18, 2023

6 important ways COVID-19 has changed the workplace for good UNSWBlog#5

For my last blog I have found an article written by Frederik Anseel. Frederik and Kevin Kniffin co-authored a new global study examining the wide-ranging effects of COVID-19. They brought together a large and diverse team of 29 researchers to explore some of the critical workplace changes that are currently unfolding. There paper breaks down two key themes, emerging changes in work practices and the economic and social psychological impacts.

This study sheds light on how workplaces are changing during Covid, and steps business leaders can take to ensure employees adapt effectively. 


First step is Reimagine the purpose and
meaning of work
. There research suggests that once staff will come back to work, there is a good chance that they have different expectations. People will have thoughts about their lives, families and health and what sort of role work plays. They say meaningful ness is an important motivator at work and will help people again find sense in what they do. A way they can accomplish this is Reinventing the workplace. Getting away from the 9-5 mentality and get towards more of a workspace to bring people together to brainstorm, have social gatherings. Have a workplace that people come to share and exchange information, build a community and identity. Not just a place to sit in front of a computer all day.

Another thing they talk about that I find interesting is helping employees overcome social isolation. They discuss many people feel lonely working from home without colleagues Managers should formalize team processes, clarify team goals, and build structural solutions to foster psychologically safe discussions. 

 

These are very good idea's for helping people ease there way back into the working world post pandemic and offers meaningful way to manage the challenges ahead in a post covid nineteen world.



Source: 

Anseel, F. (2020, August 13). 6 important ways COVID-19 has changed the workplace for good. Www.businessthink.unsw.edu.au. https://www.businessthink.unsw.edu.au/articles/6-key-ways-covid-19-changing-workplace

‌

2 comments:

  1. I really like the part about reimagining the 9-5 into being a community with an identity, and not just sitting in front of a computer all day. It seems the majority of industries' work-styles haven't been revamped to suit modern needs and changing culture, which is overdue. Overcoming social isolation is definitely a tough one, I remember having to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the article summary and comments Charlie! It is reassuring to hear that research is being conducted to find ways to encourage a welcoming and social workplace that promotes a sense of belonging in the office. One of the reasons why I have quit a job in the past was because I felt like I did not fit in with the office culture and that my work did not make a significant impact for the company. I’m glad that research shows how communal office spaces work well in our post-pandemic world.

    ReplyDelete

Part 7: Control System Design

  MGMT 2026: Management and Leadership Part 7: Control System Design Charlie Alix     The team I decided to report on is my recrea...